Friday, June 6, 2014

Reflection


           Without ever having taken an economics class, I feel that I have learned how the world works in an economist perspective.  I believe that exchange rates are the most applicable to understanding how the world works.  With the market always changing between different currencies, I feel that this information is valuable to understanding life from a worldwide view.  Each country has some kind of currency, and this currency is an important part of the market.  Currency allows these individuals to purchase and sell goods and help to make a transaction successful.
            I am interested in learning more about the hierarchy of places that occur within a society.  In particular, the central place theory was fascinating because it provided realistic examples of “things to do” in the cities around Kalamazoo.  In addition, the urban land use model, created by Burgess in 1925, was also interesting.  This concentric zone model began with the central business district in the center, and commuters were on the outside of the circle.  With that being said, I would like to analyze more places that focus on a hierarchy of places especially places that I am familiar with. 
            While I am studying abroad in Scotland next year, I think the most difficult task will be adjusting to the academic life.  I am in motion with classes here at Kalamazoo and know what to expect with each class because all of the students talk to one another.  By taking random classes and not having any idea what the professors are like, it will be difficult to adjust to.  I have researched and the University of Aberdeen appears to be an excellent school.  I just hope that it isn’t too hard so I can have some time to enjoy my time while on study abroad by visiting other places.  I’m sure that I will have a good time and cannot wait for the experience to begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment